- OPAC 2.0...challenges:
- a social library system
- faceted search and browsing system
- extensible platform
- built on WordPress (free, experienced labour)
- open source and free
- ToDo: subscribe to Casey's Blog, and check our Scriblio
- OPAC: our one chance to prove we're not stupid
- search boxes are for questions...we need to integrate the cat with other things that can give answers (eg. resources that we have...databases / lists etc.)
- we need to deliver better answers
- raised an issue that's a problem with III: you can't use the url from an item in the opac...however, you can create a list and export it...but why do we force peeps to learn how to do stuff differently in our opacs?...YouTube etc. make sharing very easy...why don't libs?
- valid, clean, semantic markup
- clean markup is better for all: search engines, accessibility, users
- sites that allow comments value their users
- Cook Memorial Library, Tamworth, NH
- Squiblio library
- small community, tons of comments
- Lamson Library (Casey's)...
- Squiblio = thin opac + web site...nifty to combine
- Scriblio = plug-in inside wordpress
Thursday, February 07, 2008
OLA08 Session #1329: OPAC 2.0: What Works Already?
Posted by Library Detective at 12:16 pm