- Mark's blog
- University Librarian at UPEI
- "if science can transport matter why do we still need the MARC record?"
- we need to *really* change
- a la Calvin and Hobbes' transmogrifer -- freedom to explore...build one and keep it in my office as a reminder
- upei has totally gone open source...evergreen
- check out Marshall Breeding's 2008 ils survey...negative comments outweigh positive by a LOT...ils-es are not effective...
- black box vs. open box
- the main reason upei went open source was to encourage a new culture that is open / new / transmogrified!!!
- Innisville Public Library (small, Ontario...wow!) went OS ILS
- switch to osils forces you to change your workflow, even if you don't need to
- check out DOAJ: Directory of Open Access Journals
- open mind + open world = open access
- traditional approach is not good enough
- @ upei used reserach funding / funded positions to help with univ.-wide open source project...open and collaborative frameworks...expanding to steward all kinds of resarch data...expanding the role of the library on campus
- lib involved to share their expertise with meta data / data stewardship etc. PLUS get in on big research funding...think about how pub lib can do this in the community....
- VRE = Virtual Research Environment...supports local research collaboration
- "Island Lives"...digitized local papers / history...community involved in editing and tagging...building community around digital collecitons
- the goal is the common good
- WorldCat is becoming a black box,not an open box
- embrace innovation
- build a true library commons
- walk the walk
- be more radical and protecting of the public good
- get in touch with your inner Potato Head!
Friday, January 30, 2009
Distrupting the Library Transporter Beam with Mark Leggott
Posted by Library Detective at 11:30 pm