- online learning research
- link to ppt on this page (look for session #1228, at 2:10 pm)
- Jounral of Computer-Mediated Communication...recent issue on social networks...TODO look it up
- "First Monday"...another journal to check out TODO
- Susan has done lots of research around learning in SecondLife, especially with a focus on marketing
- onlinemag.net has an article on libraries in SL TODO: check it out
- SNADS: Social Network Advertising
- individuals become brands...in soc networking...choose your look/image/clothes etc.
- opportunities in SL for students...work simulations, prepare for work
- STEM education: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
- Research methods:
- programmed computers to capture data
- examined discussion logs
- Questions for librarians to study:
- how can the new tch extend the classroom?
- will students seek out experts and outside help using the new tools?
- how can libs be more involved in the social classroom?
- how do these new technologies change the roel of libraries?
- very academically-focussed, but interesting
Thursday, February 07, 2008
OLA08 Session #1228: Social Netowrking: Innovation and Research
Susan Barnes, Lab for Social Computing, Rochester Institute for Technology (ppt is here)
Posted by Library Detective at 12:14 pm