- clarifying the value of libraries for the future...impact of technology on industry and creativity
- innovation always starts w peeps getting together to doodle/think/create ...so DO that for Virt Coll tag line! (use playdough/markers etc. a la Stephen Abram session at MLA)
- lots of mind-boggling futuristic examples of rapid fabrication / 3D printing / synthetic biology / nanotechnology
- creativity = the skill to move from idea to realization
- immagination: new ideas
- innovation: making things happen
- imagination (new ideas / mindset)...creativity...innovation (making things happen / toolset)
- book "The Shallows" explains how the internet is shaping our brains...diluting ability to sustain attention etc.
- clarifying the value of libs in the future...the *format* of information will always change...so libs need to have a clear idea of what we do
- what is "clarity"?...if you don't create a CLEAR message to your customers, they will create one for you...(interesting...)...good msg for life in general...
- clarity: easy, simple, SHARED descriptions
- make ideas VISIBLE...bring ideas to all senses
- use notes, diagrams, visualizations to get clarity
- future of the lib...not a simple answer
- need to figure out what works for YOU community
- look up Tom's clarity tools (will post in pdf)...eg:
- unlike (competition)... we (do this)...
- be aware and limber wrt new tech, but be true to your value proposition (good advice in general!)
Wednesday, February 01, 2012
SC12: Opening Plenary w Tom Wujec
Posted by Library Detective at 9:49 pm