- Michael Edson, Director, Web Strategy and New Media, Office of the CIO, Smithsonian Institution
- slides on slideshare
- "strategy is language that does work"
- the future is going to get stranger and stranger so we need to figure out how to deal with it
- the tool we use to span the gap to the future = strategy
- lots of good books cited ...check 'em out
- "the penguins are real": check out flying penguins video on youtube
- "the present if farm more interesting than people have noticed"
- so what do we do differently to take advantage of this?...
- old learning model: one teacher lots of students...new learning model: learning together...all teachers + students
- think of yourself as an extraterrestirial space auditor! ...compares the stated mission of your org with your collective actions...
- do your ACTIONS match your MISSION?
- on ramps and loading docks: "most of the smart people work for someone else"...you need to let them on board / open the doors for a free flow of ideas / engage with your customers...how can you get stuff OUT and IN of your org
- edge to core: "innovation at the edges: a commons in the middle" commons of shared resources
- focus on mission: clearly understand the impact you want to have
- place the bet: what world am I living in...what impact does my country/city/org want to have in that world?...what should I DO today?
- think big...start small...move fast
Friday, March 23, 2012
Creating Inspiring Services: Going Boldly Into the Present
Posted by Library Detective at 9:01 am